Rules for Northern Kung Fu
$300 Gift Card For the Grand Champions of Chinese Martial Arts Divisions
- Men’s Open Hand Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Men’s Weapon Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Women’s Open Hand Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Women’s Weapon Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- 2 Open Hand Grand Champions and 2 Weapon Grand Champions, will be awarded $300 Gift Card each. To be eligible to compete in the Grand Championship, the competitor has to win a gold medal in one of the Chinese Martial Arts Advanced Level divisions (Wushu, Northern Kung Fu, Southern Kung Fu, Internal Martial Arts, and Taijiquan) within the age group of 18+.
- Maximum performance time for All Northern Kung Fu Styles is 1.5 minutes; minimum performance time 30 seconds.
- Salute to the judges upon entering ring, then announce to the chief judge your name and the form you will be performing.
- Once an age group is announced to perform, the cut off time for competitors at that age group to enter the competition is 5 minutes.
- All Northern Kung Fu styles are scored based on good stance, balance, power, and coordination; characteristics of the particular style performed and representation of combat effectiveness.
Northern Kung Fu Styles
- Cha Quan, Hua Quan, Hong Quan, Pao Chui, Mian Quan, Taizu, Hua Lin Pai
- Shaolin, Tong Bei, Praying Mantis, Fanzi Quan, Baji Quan, Monkey Style
Quality of Movements (6 Points)
- One-tenth of a point is deducted when a slight inconformity with the technical specifications occurs in any hand form, stance, hand technique, footwork, leg technique, jumping or balance. Two-tenths of a point is deducted for an apparent inconformity, and 0.3 point for a serious one. The deduction is not more than 0.3 point if several fouls occur in a single movement.
Power and Coordination (2 Points)
- Full points (two points) are given to the contestant who performs vigorously and smoothly, with accurate and proper application of power and with harmonized movements.
- One-tenth to five-tenths of a point shall be deducted for a slight inconformity to the requirements, 0.6-1.0 point for an apparent inconformity, and 1.1-2.0 for a serious inconformity.
Spirit, Rhythm, Style, and Structure (2 Points)
- Full points are given to the contestant who performs in high spirit, with good rhythm, distinctive style, rich content, well-knit and varied structure and well-balanced choreography.
- One-tenth to five-tenths of a point is deducted for a slight inconformity to the requirements, 0.6-1.0 point for an apparent inconformity, and 1.1-2.0 points for a serious inconformity.
- Beginner Under Belts: 6 – 7.5 points
- Intermediate Under Belts: 7 – 8.5 points
- Advanced Under Belts: 8.5 – 10 points