Rules for Modern Wushu
Cash Prize For the Grand Champions of Chinese Martial Arts Divisions
- Men’s Open Hand Black Belt Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Men’s Weapon Black Belt Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Women’s Open Hand Black Belt Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Women’s Weapon Black Belt Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- 2 Open Hand Grand Champions and 2 Weapon Grand Champions, will be awarded $300 each. To be eligible to compete in the Grand Championship, the competitor has to win a gold medal in one of the Chinese Martial Arts Advanced divisions (Wushu, Northern Kung Fu, Southern Kung Fu, Internal Martial Arts, and Taijiquan) within the age group of 18+.
- Maximum performance time for all Wushu forms is 1.5 minutes; minimum performance time 30 seconds.
- Salute to the judges upon entering ring, then announce to the chief judge your name and the form you will be performing.
- Once an age group is announced to perform, the cut off time for competitors at that age group to enter the competition is 5 minutes.
- All Wushu forms are scored based on hand technique, stance, stepping, structure, jumping, balance, power, coordination, spirit, rhythem, and speed.
- Changquan (Long Fist) & Nanquan (Southern Fist)
Movement Specifications (6 Points)
- One-tenth of a point is deducted for any occurrence of a slight inconformity with the technical specifications for any hand form, stance, hand technique, footwork, leg technique, jumping, balance and apparatus technique. An apparent inconformity costs 0.2 point, and a serious inconformity costs 0.3 point. The number of the appearances of sword-finger is counted only in fixed postures (drunken swordplay also needs sword-finger). Deduction of points is made only once in a total, and is not more than 0.3 point. If several errors occur in a single movement, the deduction should not be more than 0.3 point.
- If the contestant lets the sharp edge of the sword or broadsword touch the hand, arm, body or leg when holding and waving the apparatus, he /she is penalized as if committing any inconformity with the specifications. If the contestant mixes the use of sword with that of the broadsword, he/she is penalized for the unclear use of apparatus.
Power and Coordination (2 Points)
- Full points (two points) are given to the contestant who performs with full power smoothly and accurately and with clear-cut, coordinated hand, eye and body movements (apparatus and body must also be coordinated).
- For a slight inconformity with the specifications, 0.1-0.5 point is deducted; for an apparent inconformity, 0.6-1.0 point is deducted, and for a serious inconformity, 1.1-2.0 points is deducted.
Spirit, Rhythm, and Speed (2 Points)
- One-tenth to five-tenths of a point is deducted for a slight inconformity to the requirements, 0.6-1.0 point is deducted for an apparent inconformity and 1.1-2.0 points is deducted for a serious inconformity.
- Beginner Under Belts: 6 – 7.5 points
- Intermediate Under Belts: 7 – 8.5 points
- Advanced Under Belts: 8.5 – 10 points