Rules for Self-Defense Demo
- The Self-Defense Demo is designed for competitors to demonstrate true, realistic fighting/self-defense applications extracted from the forms from their style of Martial Arts.
- Competitors’ scores are judged based on realism, authenticity, and effectiveness.
- No “fantasy,” techniques, two person sets, or movie-style choreography will be permitted.
- Competition area is matted.
Beginners & Intermediate Levels
- Three Techniques performed with a partner.
- Two minute time limit.
- No Weapons permitted.
- Techniques are to be performed first slow to show technique, then fast to show skill.
- Five or more techniques performed with a partner.
- Three minute time limit.
- Safe weapons (rubber, plastic, etc.) are permitted; No sharp blades, or metal guns are permitted.
- Techniques are to be performed first slow to show technique, then fast to demonstrate skill.
1) Technical quality of the techniques
2) Authenticity-are the techniques true to the style of the performer’s art. (i.e: Wing Chun would not have Iron Broom sweeps, etc)
3) Effectiveness of the self-defense techniques shown
A competitor will be disqualified if he/she :
1. Hurts or injures their partner
2. Uses sharp /live weapons
3. Fails to show authenticity/”Fantasy” techniques
4. If their partner ‘does all the work,’ i.e. throws themselves