Rules for Karate Kata
$300 Gift Card For the Grand Champions of Kata
- Men’s Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- Women’s Advanced Level Grand Champion (Age Group: 18+): $300
- 2 Grand Champions, one Male and one Female, will be awarded $300 Gift Card each. To be eligible to compete in the Grand Championship, the competitor has to win a gold medal in the Advanced Level division (Open Hand or Weapon) within the age group of 18+. All Grand Championship competitors can choose to demonstrate either an Open Hand kata or Weapon kata.
- Maximum performance time for all Karate katas is 1.5 minutes; minimum performance time 30 seconds.
- Salute to the judges upon entering ring, then announce to the chief judge your name and the form you will be performing.
- Once an age group is announced to perform, the cut off time for competitors at that age group to enter the competition is 5 minutes.
- All Karate katas are scored based on good stance, balance, power, coordination, and structure; characteristics of the particular style performed and representation of combat effectiveness.
- Competitors are grouped by Freestyle and Traditional Style
- Budokan, Goju-ryu, Kenpo, Kyokushin, Shito-ryu, Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Uechi-ryu, Wado-ryu
- Proper sequence of movement and correct accuracy of the techniques
- Showing the key elements of kata: levels of strength, contraction and expansion of the body, change in the speed of the techniques, and fighting spirit
- Following the proper course of direction and showing smoothness in the feet movements
- Demonstrating an understanding of the meaning of each movement
- Overall performance and illustrating the essential characteristics of the chosen Kata
- Power and accuracy in the performance of basic techniques
- Proper use of stances and postures, and the ability to focus the mind
- Beginner Under Belts: 6 – 7.5 points
- Intermediate Under Belts: 7 – 8.5 points
- Advanced Under Belts: 8.5 – 10 points