Professor Ted Gulong, aka Li Tai Liang, is the federation president of the World Fighting Martial Arts Federation. He is a world renowned martial artist with deep knowledge in various traditional and modern fighting systems and expertise in the promotion of international level martial arts events. Professor Gulong has over 40 years of experience in teaching and promoting traditional and modern fighting martial arts systems.
Professor Gulong started training in traditional Chinese martial arts as a family tradition at the age of 5. Professor Gulong was accepted by the Wushu department of Beijing Sport University in 1977, which produced numerous national and international champions in various sports. At the university, Professor Gulong specialized in Sanda (Chinese Kickboxing), and was taught by most renowned martial artists in China, including Professor Zhang Wenguang, Professor Xia Bohua, etc.
Professor Gulong was a national champion in Sanda, winning the National Chinese Martial Arts Competition and the National Police Combat Competition. After retiring from competitions, Professor Gulong served as chief referee at the China National Sanda Competition.
Professor Gulong was appointed as the combat instructor of the Chinese Special Police, professor and instructor of China Police University, head coach of Beijing Sanda Team, and head coach of Shaolin Temple fighting monks. Professor Gulong has trained disciples who were body guards of China’s past presidents. Professor Gulong is currently the federation president of the World Fighting Martial Arts Federation (WFMAF) and honorary president of the US Open Martial Arts Championship.
Professor Gulong organized many international level professional competitions in China and United States, including:
- New Century New York Kung Fu Strike Challenge, Manhattan NY, 2001
- New Century New York Kung Fu Strike Challenge, Manhattan NY, 2002
- King of Fighters, China, 2006
- King of Fighters, China, 2007
- King of Fighters, China, 2008
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2009
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2010
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2011
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2012
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2013
- US Open Martial Arts Championship, New York City, 2014
Professor Gulong has published numerous articles, books, and over 80 instructional DVDs on fighting martial arts in his native China and in the United States. Here is a list of books and Instructional DVD series written and produced by Professor Gulong:
- Chinese Sanda Sparring
- Women’s Self-Defense
- Police Stick Techniques
- Chinese Xing-Yi Boxing
- Joint Locks and Striking
Instructional DVD Series
- Shaolin Wushu
- Sanda Sparring
- Shuai Jiao and Joint Locks
- Mandarin Duck Kicks Applications
- Self Defense Against Weapons
- Broadsword Techniques
- Spear Techniques
- Straight Sword Techniques
- Staff Techniques
- Short Stick Techniques
- Nunchaku Techniques
- Stagger Techniques
Among the books written by Professor Gulong, “Chinese Wushu Sanda” and “Police Stick Combat Techniques” were used by the Chinese army and special police forces as their training manuals.